- This event has passed.
July 16-21– Bethesda, Maryland Workshops & concerts
July 16 - July 21
Workshops & concerts
2017 CCE Musical Arts & Dance (MAD) Week
- Cedar Lane Unitarian Church, 9601 Cedar Lane, Bethesda, Maryland USA
- 90 minute instrumental, vocal & dance classes each morning and afternoon plus lunchtime workshops and midday lectures
- Fabulous faculty concerts on Sunday and Wednesday evenings
- Thursday evening Ceili, with an amazing ceili band comprised of MAD Week faculty
- Friday Student Concert finale
Dr Gearóid Ó hAllmhuráin will offer concertina instruction, midday history lectures and book release party for his new book, A SHORT HISTORY OF IRISH TRADITIONAL MUSIC published by O’Brien Press (Dublin, 2017)
ABOUT THE BOOK: The history of Irish traditional music, song and dance from the mythological harp of the Dagda right up to Riverdance and beyond.
Exploring an abundant spectrum of historical sources, music and folklore, this guide uncovers the contribution of the Normans to Irish dancing, the role of the music maker in Penal Ireland, as well as the popularity of dance tunes and set dancing from the end of the 18th century. It also follows the music of the Irish diaspora from as far apart as Newfoundland and the music halls of vaudeville to the musical tapestry of Irish America today.
In addition to class and private instruction, instrumental students will have an opportunity to play in traditional Irish sessions, hear faculty performances throughout the week, and perform at the concluding ceili and concert on Friday night.